The 21st-century 20-something


Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Give me a 'break'

No worries guys, I'm still alive.

It's been far to long since I've written a post - my sincerest apologies.

This being my first year out of college, it's been rough not having 'breaks' from school after thankfully having them for the past 17 years. Thanksgiving break, Christmas break, spring break, summer break...all welcomed and much needed throughout the years.

I have a few friends who work for the Rome City School District and they are 'off' this week because it is the school system's mid-winter break. Which pretty much should be called 'We wanted a break between Christmas and spring break because four months is too long to work without a break' break.

I'm not knocking teachers at all. I think being an educator is one of the most important roles in society. These people are shaping minds that will control the future of our country. Not an easy task. So I guess they do deserve one or two...or five breaks throughout the year.

I am green with envy as I type this - wishing I too could have a much needed break this week.



However, newsrooms don't get breaks. Heck, we get weekends off if we're lucky. But this is the profession I chose and I wouldn't change it for the world. So I'm just going to suck it up and try to make it through the year without a break. I guess it comes with the 'real world' territory I heard so much about during my senior year of college.


So I've decided, instead of boycotting breaks and whining about not having them anymore, I'm going to do something special every night for one week in February and April to replace my old mid-winter and spring breaks.

For instance, this week, I went out to grab a drink with friends Monday night, had dinner with an old friend last night, and am planning another dinner tonight. Now don't get me wrong, I do these types of social activities pretty regularly, but having five nights booked in my 'break' week will just make me feel more like I'm having an actual break. Just humor me.

I'm already trying to plan a little weekend road trip for April to serve as a mini-spring break.

I think these faux-breaks will both keep me sane and trick my mind into thinking I'm actually having nice, relaxing breaks throughout the year.

I'll let you know how it works out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Caitlin Traynor said...

Kali - that sounds like a fabulous idea! You're sooo smart! Let me know how that works out for you!

February 24, 2011 at 4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

« Home | 21st century dating » | Harry Potter Trailer » | School is officially over » | It's Summertime...ugh » | Truth or Truth? » | Remember these guys? » | When in Rome, do....? » | I am a Gleek »

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States



Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]