The 21st-century 20-something


Monday, June 11, 2012

Crazy concert memories

This past weekend Dave Matthews Band performed at SPAC, as they do every year, and unfortunately I was unable to attend.

In fact, I haven't been to any shows in a while.

I used to love going to concerts, not just to see the performers but the whole experience. Getting the ticket in the mail, planning the road trip that almost always accompanies a good show and enjoying the actual performance.

That got me thinking about a few bizarre and ridiculous experiences that I have the urge to share.

First concert ever: Britney Spears

For my 12th birthday, my father bought me two fourth-row tickets to see Britney Spears at SPAC. The 'Oops I Did it Again' tour if I remember correctly. The show was fun since, of course, I knew all of the songs and lyrics by heart. That was also the night I learned exactly what lip syncing was and what it sounded like.

Same show three times in one year: Third Eye Blind

Can you really blame me? Besides the fact that there isn't one Third Eye Blind song I don't like, I could watch Stephen Jenkins sing all day everyday. I strongly recommend anyone go see a show if they get the chance. I know you know all the words to 'Semi-Charmed Life' anyways.



Most awkward experience: Hanson

Don't judge me. Granted, I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I had gone to see them when I was 13, but no, I dragged my friend along to see them in 2008. My friend, bless her soul, agreed to go having no desire or interest in the least to watch my pre-teen obsession perform live. The venue was full of girls my age reliving their younger years, having a blast, while my friend and I stood in a corner showing little or no enthusiasm. Needless to say, we left early.

That time I was almost kicked out: The Starting Line, Cartel



Me and a few good friends of mine went to some small venue in Buffalo a few years ago sometime in the winter. At the time I was pretty sick and wasn't feeling well, but decided to go anyway just hoping for the best. So after waiting in line for an hour, I remember coming to the door and reaching for my ticket then BOOM -- tunnel vision. Everything became blurry and I slowly sank to my knees, passing out right there in line. Of course the security guards thought I was drunk or high on some hip teen street drug, and were totally ready to boot me to the parking lot. But eventually they decided to let me stay, which was hardly worth it considering I spent the rest of the night hanging with the guys at the merch booths and couldn't even name three songs by The Starting Line if my life depended on it.

The most disappointing show ever: Blink-182, Weezer

Me and several college friends bought tickets to see Blink-182 and Weezer perform at SPAC in the summer of 2009. We were all pumped on the way to the show, even though we were stuck in traffic for about 40 minutes. So we just turned up 'All the Small Things' and prepared ourselves for what we were sure was going to be one of the best shows ever. It was pretty exciting considering Blink-182 had 'officially' broken up in 2004 and the chances of them doing another tour was slim. Then, just coming up to SPAC I get a text from a friend also on her way to the show saying "Blink canceled." I very possibly had tears in my eyes. Due to the untimely and unfortunate death of DJ AM; Mark, Tom and Travis bailed on the show to mourn the loss of their friend. I couldn't really be mad at that, but was definitely disappointed.

The first time I met someone in the band: Dashboard Confessional

Traveled all the way to Niagara Falls to take my best friend for her birthday when we were probably 15 or 16. It was my first general admission show, so I wasn't used to flailing arms and mosh pits until then, but I was properly introduced with several elbows to the face. Not to mention Thrice opened for them, and their fans were very...intense. After the show my friend and I spotted the tour bus and saw a few people lined up outside so decided to go check it out. We met the lead singer Chris Carabba, much shorter than I'd expected, but it was a fun experience. My friend and I took photos with my sweet Kodak disposable camera (remember them?), and her photo with Chris didn't develop and mine cut half my face off. But we still felt pretty cool.



As a sidebar to this post, I tried to list every concert I've ever been to, like that game where you try to name all 50 states without looking it up. I don't think I remembered all of them but here's what I came up with:
Britney Spears; Dashboard Confessional; Carrie Underwood; O.A.R; Third Eye Blind; Hanson; Weezer; The Starting Line/Cartel; Good Charlotte/Relient K; Black Eyed Peas/Pussycat Dolls; Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young; We the Kings; Eve 6; Jimmy Eat World/Paramore; Justin Timberlake/Pink; No Doubt/Paramore; Fall Out Boy/Plus 44; Dave Matthews; The Hold Steady; The Felice Brothers; The American Idol Tour 2008.

I could go on forever, but I more interested in you guys sharing some of your crazy concert experiences in the comments!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

« Home | New Summer's Resolutions » | Learn to blog! » | Winter winds » | X marks the spot » | My Vacation Checklist » | Dissecting divorce rates » | Reaction to Casey Anthony trial » | Contemplating a five-year reunion » | Freedom and justice for...straight people? » | Day Trippin' »

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States



Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]