The 21st-century 20-something


Thursday, August 9, 2012

Watch out...Here Comes Honey Boo Boo

As some of you may know, a few years ago a I had a blog called "Reality Check" where I wrote about reality television shows and the people featured on them.

I'm not ashamed to say I enjoy reality TV, but I do acknowledge the exploitative nature of this genre of entertainment. I don't necessarily support glamorizing teen pregnancy in "Teen Mom" and awarding bad-tempered women in their early-20s by letting them live in a mansion on "The Bad Girls Club," but the entertainment factors are undeniable.

I have, however, always respected TLC for having somewhat more relatable and interesting reality television that doesn't exclusively feature bar fights and 'hooking up.' Most people can enjoy "Say Yes to the Dress" and "Cake Boss" without guilt. While it does feature some low-key drama, as all reality shows do, they provide mostly light, fun entertainment.

Photo courtesy of www.inquisitr.com
I will say they've made some questionable choices with "Toddlers and Tiaras" and "My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding" where they feature a group that is sure to face some judgment and criticism, but nothing like their newest sure-to-be-hit that premiered last night -- "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo."

A few months ago they aired an episode of "Toddlers and Tiaras" featuring a 6-year-old named Alana. Show producers will probably say this girl and her family, all from Southern Georgia, where put on the show to exemplify 'the spectrum' of children that participate in pageants. But let's just call a spade a spade -- they were put on the show as a source of ridicule.



After the show aired this little girl blew up on YouTube because of her interesting mannerisms, way of speaking and unorthodox catch phrases for a 6-year-old including "honey boo boo"...for which her show is named.

The show features all members of the Thompson family including:
Alana a.k.a 'Honey Boo Boo'
June a.k.a 'Mama'
Mike a.k.a 'Sugar Bear'
Jessica a.k.a 'Chubbs'
Lauryn a.k.a 'Pumpkin'
Anna a.k.a 'Chickadee'

There has been an interesting mix of reactions since the show aired, because people either find it incredibly appalling or hilariously entertaining.

Just a few highlights from last night were the bobbing for pig's feet at 'The Redneck Games,' Pumpkin eating cheese balls off the floor, Chickadee's ultrasound (yes, she's pregnant at 17), Alana getting a new pet pig called Glitzy, and Mama and Sugar Bear attending a food auction to buy expired junk food in bulk at a bargain.

I think the critics are right on that this show could either be a hilarious look into a family's dynamics or a gross display of the decay of America.

Judging by the first two episodes that aired last night, this family either doesn't realize they're being made fun of, or doesn't care. Either way I can only have so much sympathy for people who sign off on letting the world into their personal lives.

But rest assured I will shamelessly be tuning into each and every episode.

Whether you want to or not, I'm sure you'll see a Tweet, Facebook status, blog post or article related to the show. If you missed it, check out the full episodes on the TLC website. I'm super interested to hear what you think in the comments!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

« Home | Leave Mumford & Sons alone! » | Things I'm obsessed with this week » | Yes, I talk to myself » | Totally Underrated: Attractive male actors » | It gets better...trust me » | All I have is my word » | Celebrity babies are way cooler than I am » | Important Facebook etiquette » | You can't handle the truth » | Crazy concert memories »

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States



Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]