The 21st-century 20-something


Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Education is the most powerful weapon...

...Which you can use to change the world.

If you have read any posts from my blog, you know I try to keep things light and write about semi-trivial things from my life that I think you can relate to.

But today I have to address a serious issue, and I'll try to do it without coming off too preachy.

I would like to respectfully request that first and foremost, all Americans eligible to vote register to do so. From your lowest level of government to the upcoming presidential election, your vote counts and is important. Every decision your government representatives make affects you or someone you know, and we are a democracy -- what we want and need should matter.


Secondly, I ask that everyone do their best to educate themselves on candidates before making a decision. And I'm not talking about watching one report on Fox News or CNN and making a choice from that alone. Do some research. The Internet is a beautiful thing and we should all use it to our advantage.


Read up on the candidates' stances on each and every issue, and decide which one aligns best with your values and vision for the country.

I like a friendly debate as much as the next guy, but nothing is more frustrating that discussing politics. You will almost never change a person's opinion on which candidate they support or their views on important issues, and it is sad when all it ends up as is an ignorant argument. That's not the point. The point is, having these discussions prompt thought processes that you may not have had before. You may learn something new, or just end up feeling more secure in your decision. Either way, we should make the election part of the conversation and really think hard about where our country is headed an whether or not we agree with that direction.

There is no reason adults can't discuss these things in a respectful and open-minded manner.

Here are some helpful places to find some information:

Barack Obama

Mitt Romney

Presidential Election

Compare Romney vs. Obama

Please feel free to share sites you find helpful in the comments!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

« Home | What's in a name? » | Rules to avoid roommate tensions » | Who wants free tickets to the NYS Fair? » | Watch out...Here Comes Honey Boo Boo » | Leave Mumford & Sons alone! » | Things I'm obsessed with this week » | Yes, I talk to myself » | Totally Underrated: Attractive male actors » | It gets better...trust me » | All I have is my word »

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States



Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]