The 21st-century 20-something


Monday, November 19, 2012

My Quarter-Life Crisis

So here's the thing. I will be 25 years old this March -- and I'm  pretty sure I've been experiencing a quarter-life crisis. 
I don't know about you, but when I was a youngster I had always looked forward to this time in my life where I thought I'd be a real grown up and have accomplished so much by this point.

Photo courtesy of frommers.com
I had this dream of graduating college, moving to New York City and working in some media field making tons of money and possibly dating someone seriously by now.

The reality is, while I did graduate from college and get a job in my field, I still live with my mom in my hometown, don't make tons of money and have no romantic involvement to speak of.

You can see where my disappointment lies.

When I moved back home from college more than 2 1/2 years ago, I was totally happy with my life. I got a real job and was planning to save money to explore my options and not be stuck in Rome forever. But that is oh so very far from what is actually happening.


In my dream scenario I failed to consider the constraints students loans, car troubles, gas, cell phones and other bills would pose to me reaching my aspirations.

I know several of my friends feel a similar way, and I think maybe it's just our generation, the current economy and non-existent job market that make the American Dream more difficult to attain than it once was.

But now, creeping up on the big 2-5...I'm starting to realize how fast time passes.

To avoid sounding too whiny, I will say I've been trying to stay positive. I'd like to think that it's never too late for anything, and that everything happens for a reason.

Do you ever feel like you're having a quarter life crisis?


1 Comments:

Blogger KDiggity said...

Hi Kali,

I just happened upon your blog while looking for a Google image of the Hindu goddess Kali, and I feel compelled to respond because seven years ago, when I was turning 25, I found myself in a very, very similar boat (even down to the media job).

I'm here to tell you that the late 20s get better, and the early 30s are the best. Perspective starts to shift, and what seems like a crisis now will cause you to smile later. You'll realize that though 25 seems so old, it really isn't. You'll start to settle into the present moment without thinking so much about the future (though this comes and goes in waves). Trust me on this. (If you can trust someone you don't know from Eve.)

Here are two pieces of writing I found incredibly useful when I went through what you seem to be going through:

http://coolquotescollection.com/7401/i-beg-you-to-have-patience-with-everything-unresolved-in-your-heart-and-to-try

http://www.panhala.net/archive/i_live_my_life.html

Peace to you,
Kristin

November 26, 2012 at 3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

« Home | Wanna laugh? » | Things that annoy me...this week » | Education is the most powerful weapon... » | What's in a name? » | Rules to avoid roommate tensions » | Who wants free tickets to the NYS Fair? » | Watch out...Here Comes Honey Boo Boo » | Leave Mumford & Sons alone! » | Things I'm obsessed with this week » | Yes, I talk to myself »

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States



Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]