The 21st-century 20-something


Tuesday, March 5, 2013

A postive-ly wonderful 2013 (so far)

It's been so long! I have so much to tell you.

So I haven't posted in a few months (eek!) but I'm back and better than ever.

The year 2013 has started off perhaps better than any of the other 24 I've experienced. And that is purely because of one thing I've discovered -- being positive can make a change. For real.

It sounds like every terrible self-help book or shrink-authored article you've ever read, but I'm finding that it really is true.

For New Year's, instead of making one resolution, I made several small ones that I knew I could follow. This saves the disappointing feeling of failure that often comes right around the end of January. Experiencing my quarter-life crisis was also a motivating factor.

With the big 2-5 coming up I was having anxiety because I was focusing on the negative things in my life or how upset I was that I haven't accomplished certain goals yet. Then I finally realized that it's never too late to make a move, and now is the time to be positive about the possibilities in life that are out there waiting.

With a positive outlook and maintaining a positive atmosphere, I've done pretty well getting healthy, which was one of my goals. Instead of saying "I'm going to go to the gym everyday" or "I'm going to eat nothing but vegetables" (ya know, things that were never realistically going to happen), I said to myself, "I want to feel more healthy."

With that general goal, I was able to make smaller efforts to accomplish this. Instead of going on a diet, I've been making a conscious effort to eat healthy. This includes excluding certain things from my daily diet, but not starving myself. I've lost 10 pounds so far, which make me motivated and happy, instead of starved, depressed and grumpy.


Hand in hand with that, one of my smaller goals was also to consume less alcohol. Now don't get my wrong, I wasn't carrying a flask around or shotgunning beers on a daily basis, but I enjoyed going out with friends and letting loose on the weekends. When you think about it, alcohol is a depressant, so I was always tired and bloated and felt super yucky after a night out. So without frequenting the bars as much, I've been able to be happy and focus on being more productive in life. I've found you don't have to go out to be social, you can still maintain friendships and have fun without adding the empty calories.

Another extension of my goal was saving money. Which with eating out less and going out on the town less, is starting to happen. I mean, I still blow money sometimes on unnecessary vices, but hey you've gotta live a little, right? The point is to make baby steps.

I'm not trying to sound like I've got it all figured out. I don't. All of these things are works in progress. But I will say focusing on the positive, like the results of a lifestyle change, instead on focusing on the negative, like the feeling that you're 'giving something up', makes all the difference in the world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

« Home | I'm so Pinterest-ed » | Averting the crisis » | My Quarter-Life Crisis » | Wanna laugh? » | Things that annoy me...this week » | Education is the most powerful weapon... » | What's in a name? » | Rules to avoid roommate tensions » | Who wants free tickets to the NYS Fair? » | Watch out...Here Comes Honey Boo Boo »

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States



Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]