The 21st-century 20-something


Thursday, November 21, 2013

I live in one of the most miserable cities in America



Business Insider has named my hometown one of the Top 11 Most Miserable Cities in America.
We're number 11, so it's last on the list, but I still find myself highly offended by this accusation. When you call the place I was born and raised and currently reside in 'miserable' - I'm taking it personally, sorry not sorry.
First of all, it names "Utica-Rome, N.Y.," as number 11, which puts me off right there. Utica and Rome are two separate, very different cities in Central New York. One probably far more miserable than the other, and shouldn't be grouped together so frivolously. I'm also very disappointed in the 'reporting' from Julie Zeveloff, who fails to mention any of the reasons she has labeled our area 'miserable.'
 The only semblance of an attribution is the note below each city listed stating:
"Results are based on phone interviews with a random sample of 353,563 adults in the U.S. Metro areas are based on the Metropolitan Statistical Areas defined by the U.S. Office of Management and Budget."
Phone calls, really?
The story also says it is based on Gallup ratings stating:
"The index ranks well-being by averaging scores in six categories: Life evaluation, emotional health, work environment, physical health, healthy behaviors, and access to basic necessities."
Life evaluation? What the hell does that even mean? What did they ask during these dubious phone interviews, "Hey, on a scale of one to 10, how bad does your life suck?" "How many times do you think about jumping off of a bridge on a daily basis?"
As far as physical health, I wouldn't say we were the most health-conscious place on Earth, but what about people from McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, Texas? They didn't make the list either, yet they have the highest obesity rate in the country. Those people have to be pretty miserable.
And access to basic necessities - we've got that covered. We have a Walmart, OK? A Walmart SUPERCENTER. Basic needs: met.
How about Brownsville, Texas, the city that was named the poorest city in the country this year -  I wonder if Julie called anybody there? They have 3 Walmarts that they can't even afford to shop at. I bet they're more miserable than I am.
I find it extremely difficult to believe that the Utica-Rome area is one of the Top 11 Miserable Cities in New York State, let alone the country, based on these gauges. I mean, have you ever been to Syracuse?
On a regular basis I complain about Rome, and sometimes I do feel miserable living here. But reading this article really made me become defensive of my hometown. Yes, it's a relatively boring place with annoying weather and its share of degenerates running around; but it's the place I call home.
It's just like when someone calls your best friend a jerk. You can call them a jerk if you want, but when somebody else does, you're ready to fight. 
So, Business Insider, you wanna call my home miserable? I'm ready to fight. Or just write a really passive-aggressive, defensive, ineffective rant in the form of a blog post. See above.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

KALI, SO WELL SAID. I'M SO PROUD OF YOU. LOVE YA. AND ROME IS HOME

November 21, 2013 at 6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the main point that most people living in rome find it a boring place to live is a correct statement. Mostly because there is nothing to do here. I don't believe its the most miserable place to live. There facts are so wrong. Especially putting this out there without providing what exact questions they asked those "RANDOM" people.

December 10, 2013 at 11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

« Home | Get over your hill » | Beware the Internet Self-Diagnosis Trap » | Thank the veterans » | Judgmental woman 'fat-shames' kids on Halloween » | Why chivalry is dead, from a woman's perspective » | Get out of the gray area » | What's my excuse? This poster. » | Is marriage outdated? » | What's the rush? » | I think I'm losing it »

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States



Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]