The 21st-century 20-something


Monday, November 11, 2013

Thank the veterans

While I tend to try and keep this blog lighthearted, I do have to take a moment this Veterans Day to very seriously thank all of the men and women in uniform who serve this country.

Normally I would say you shouldn't need a special day to recognize or appreciate certain people - because you should do it all the time - but I am so very glad we have a day to honor these heroes.

I don't think many Americans really understand the true sacrifices these people make to protect not only their freedom, but yours and mine. I don't know about you, but I've certainly never done something as unselfish as put my life on the line for complete strangers.

Sidebar: The same appreciation goes out to police officers, firefighters, and all those in uniform who risk their lives on a daily basis.

For all of the people who complain about this country and those running it, please just take a moment today to put aside your criticisms and disdain, and be thankful that you live in a place where you are free to speak, practice the religion of your choosing, be educated regardless of race or gender, and appreciate the progress we're making as a country.

I have a brother who has served in the Marine Corps. for more than 20 years, has been deployed overseas and though I can't imagine what he's seen or been through, he is still proud to serve. And that makes me more proud than I can say.

So although we have this day set aside to honor veterans, please do what you can to show your appreciation each and every day, because we all owe these people a tremendous amount of respect.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

« Home | Judgmental woman 'fat-shames' kids on Halloween » | Why chivalry is dead, from a woman's perspective » | Get out of the gray area » | What's my excuse? This poster. » | Is marriage outdated? » | What's the rush? » | I think I'm losing it » | A postive-ly wonderful 2013 (so far) » | I'm so Pinterest-ed » | Averting the crisis »

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States



Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]