The 21st-century 20-something


Tuesday, December 10, 2013

What is your purpose in my life?

I heard a saying today that made me really think about the people in my life and what their purposes are. Not material purposes, or what I can use them for, but sincerely why they're there; why they became a part of my life.

The saying I'm referring to is "People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime."

It's true - in it's simplest form. Basically people are in your life for a very specific purpose, for a short period of time or for a long period of time. Essentially everyone in your life can fall into one of the categories. The perplexing part, is which people fall in to which category?


I can think back on certain people who were once a part of my life and aren't anymore, and in hindsight can see what the 'reason' was. By that I mean, they taught me things - about myself and others - or about life in general. I think people who come into your life for a reason can also be there for a season or a lifetime, but sometimes it's just a small piece of your past that you look back that had a hand in shaping the person you are right now.

It is frustrating, however, to think people in your life or past, and not be able to determine what their purpose is or was for being there. In fact, you may never know. And that is just down right annoying.

There are also the people that are there for a season, and for the most part, I look back fondly on these ones. In my experience, these were people that I was close with at one time, but just kind of drifted apart or lost contact, but it didn't end on bad terms. The people that were there for a season could be high school or college friends, close co-workers at a job from your past, but many times it's a prior relationship that helped define a period of your life.

There are also some people who were there for a season and also a reason - and it wasn't good. But I'm in a fairly good mood, so I'm not going to dwell on those people.

Of course my family members are lifers - they couldn't get rid of me if they tried. And I would say I have a handful of good friends that I will never lose touch with as long as I live. I do hope, one day, I will find a person to really share a lifetime with - but don't we all.

There are some people in my life though, that I'm not sure of yet. But I guess it's something that you figure over time. I think it's silly to spend a lot of time trying to figure it out. You'll know when you know - ya know?

I think this small sentence made me realize that almost every person you come into contact with has some sort of purpose in your life.

You may figure out the reason, and you may not - but it is still there.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

« Home | I live in one of the most miserable cities in Amer... » | Get over your hill » | Beware the Internet Self-Diagnosis Trap » | Thank the veterans » | Judgmental woman 'fat-shames' kids on Halloween » | Why chivalry is dead, from a woman's perspective » | Get out of the gray area » | What's my excuse? This poster. » | Is marriage outdated? » | What's the rush? »

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States



Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]