The 21st-century 20-something


Tuesday, January 21, 2014

I am the only me in the world

I'll admit it. I Google myself. Pretty regularly, to be honest.

I actually had and may still have a Google Alert on my name. I use it mostly for this blog, to see if it's mentioned or re-posted. I don't know much else you'd use a Google Alert about yourself for; but I digress.

What I've discovered in my Googling, is that I am pretty positive I am the only Kali Zigrino in the entire world. Now, of course we are all one of a kind, and unique in our own ways, but many times there are others out there with our name, which may take a bit away from what makes us stand out. There are even two Justin Bieber's in the world for crying out loud. Poor guy.

For those of you who don't know me, my name is Kali, pronounced (Kay-lee.) I know - it's spelled wrong. Talk to my parents.


Actually the spelling of name inadvertently came from the Hindu Goddess of Death and Destruction. I guess my parents didn't find it necessary to do any research before giving me that name, which I will have for the rest of my life. Oh well, it's my cross to bear.

Anyway, according to Google Translate, my last name means 'shagreen' in Italian - which is an untanned leather covered with small round granulations and usually dyed green, according to the dictionary. Not a very popular last name in America, probably more popular in Italy, but highly unlikely matched with the name Kali by Italians.

Basically I have a weird first name and a weird last name, and have probably the only combination of both those names together. I could be wrong, I guess. Maybe there is another Kali Zigrino somewhere - wouldn't that be an interesting plot twist! But so far in my research, I haven't found her.

When I put it in perspective, it's kind of cool to be the only person with my name in the world.

I like to think in its rarity, my name is meant to be known for something. I certainly won't be the person to cure cancer, a famous actress or the first female president - which was my childhood dream - but on some smaller scale I hope it does work in my favor at some point in life. It could be bad if I somehow end up on the lamb, but let's hope that doesn't become an issue.

When I was younger, I sometimes wished I had a more common name, or at least one that was spelled phonetically correct, but now I realize that it adds character. It can work as a conversation starter if nothing else.

So now it's got me thinking that there must be other people in the world with a full name that no one else on the planet has - and I wonder if they like it or think it's a burden? Would they rather have a more common name, or do they revel in their uniqueness?

This has been possibly the most random post I've ever written - but I'd like to know what others think. Do you have a rare name and hate it? Or a common name and love it? Or do you wish you had a common name to make life easier? 

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Roger Owen Green said...

Common name. Use the middle name to distinguish myself from a disgraced NY state senator.

January 21, 2014 at 3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

« Home | I've Been Single for my Entire Life, Too » | You say you want a resolution » | People get fired. Sorry, Phil Robertson. » | The Boy Band Evolution » | What is your purpose in my life? » | I live in one of the most miserable cities in Amer... » | Get over your hill » | Beware the Internet Self-Diagnosis Trap » | Thank the veterans » | Judgmental woman 'fat-shames' kids on Halloween »

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States



Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]